Identity & Access Management Software
IT Services & Software solutions are used in many aspects of a company, notably to control the flow of visitors. Identity & access management tools aim at securing access to infrastructures thanks to identity verification technologies.
Compare software systems of Identity & Access Management
Identity & Access Management: purchase guide
What is an Online Identity & Access Management Solution?
To reinforce internal data protection, companies use Identity & Access Management Systems (IAM). Security is the main objective of IAM software. These are programs designed to automate access control and thus gain time compared to traditional methods.
How does it work?
IAM solutions now offer SaaS solutions. Thanks to this innovation, external agent authorizations can be managed online. There is no need to download and install the software on local servers, which risks raising maintenance costs. Most of these tools are hosted in the cloud. This operating method reduces the risk of internal data being hacked, while also allowing for real-time movement tracking. Surveillance missions can even be done remotely, as long as internet access is available.
Since these tools live online, the company has to subscribe to a plan. This step grants access to a private administration platform which managers can use simultaneously to accomplish their assigned tasks.
What are the main features of a SaaS IAM solution?
The specific modules that make up IAM software can vary. However, basic functionalities are usually the same with any software:
Administrator account creation
It is important for programs to have pilots. This is also the case for IAM solutions. Thanks to administrator account creation, companies can choose which agent is in charge of validating or denying access requests. For companies with managing directors, the latter can set up access policies and restrictions directly for the staff they manage.
HR data integration
Usually, this type of solution offers an option allowing system administrators to link HR data to the access management system. This method makes it easier to categorize visitors and staff members. It is even possible to set up automatic restrictions and authorizations based on seniority level and the job titles of employees.
Reinforcing the security of the data stored within the system is the main goal of these solutions. Editors of this type of software provide tracking systems, which allow companies to track the movements of employees. Of course, these options must comply with norms related to the disclosure of confidential corporate data, and companies must respect the privacy of employees.
Who are IAM solutions for?
These solutions can be used by all companies, regardless of their size. Access management being of paramount importance, it is recommended that consulting firms of more than 5 people to set up a unique authentication system. It should be noted that this software is also designed to be used by independents who collaborate closely with third parties. In this case, secure remote data access is required.
Why use an IAM solution?
This software have pros and cons. Below are some important issues to consider before signing up to these SaaS solutions:
- The security manager can create as many visitor profiles as they want
- They can set up personalized restrictions for different kinds of profiles
- It is possible to share data related to visitor management to supervisors
- It is possible to automate access control with presets
- Relevant staff can access clear statistics related to access management
- It is easier to create many user sessions
Free access management software offer only limited functionality and basic services.
How to choose the best IAM solution?
Choosing an access management software depends on a few criteria. Before taking your decision, you should consider the following points:
- The quality of the UI: an identity management tool must have an easy-to-use interface. The layout of the different menus is essential to these solutions. An ergonomic UI is indispensable.
- The feature set: basic functionalities are always included. However, software editors also offer customizable modules. These should be studied carefully: they have been designed to provide companies with tailor-made solutions.
- Customer support: a reliable software editor should be able to provide 24/7 support. This criterion is important, as if you encounter a problem or have a question, they can only be solved by qualified people. In most cases, subscription fees include online, phone or email assistance.
- Cost flexibility: this type of software are sold at different prices depending on the size of your company. Costs can also be reduced by choosing a long-term engagement. You should make sure there are no hidden costs, which could impact the original budget.